Dating newport pagnell
The organ was fitted in August of that year and a brass plaque commemorates the gift.
If you turn left by the north porch, the oldest part of the church, you will come across a row of almshouses, built in 1763 by John Revis a Charing Cross draper who made good in London and whose family came from Newport.
The Ironmongers closed in 1991 after which it has been a restaurant.
There was a wonderful aroma in the old premises and one is reminded of olden days before large commercial stores.
The waterway link had already fallen into disuse when the branch railway line from Wolverton was opened in 1865.
The town was by then a busy centre with a thriving coachworks owned by Salmons later the home of Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd, a focal point for the local farming industry and to some extent a dormitory for workers at the Railway Works at Wolverton.
The Paynells founded Tickford Priory and through this the town grew in importance.
By 1394 local burgesses had taken over the responsibility for maintenance of the town market. The King's men were routed and the Parliamentary forces took charge, fortifying the town with earthworks, some of which can still be seen on the town Common, Bury Field.
On the left hand side is the Swan Revived Hotel (7), once one of the town’s principal coaching inns dating back to at least 1597.Newport Pagnell's next major expansion took place in the 1950's when large housing estates were built to cope with the post-war population surge.This fact, coupled with the coming of the M1 in 1959 and the establishment of the new city of Milton Keynes, has seen the town's population rise from 4,500 to over 16,000.On the left, on the site of an ancient manor house, is the Royal British Legion Club (2), housed in a 17th century building which in it's time has been home to prominent local families, a private girls' school, a public library, and a doctors' surgery. The tower was erected during the 16th century and the crenellations (battlements) and pinnacles added in 1827.